AmaZulu and SSU share spoils in dramatic match


AmaZulu and SuperSport United have played to a goalless draw at Kings Park Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

Usuthu were impressive on the left side of the attack with Tercious Malepe and Tshepang Moremi combining well to penetrate the United defence.

Siphelele Mthembu should’ve put AmaZulu ahead in the 25th minute when he pounced on a loose ball after Thatayaone Ditlhokwe lost the ball in the box.

The veteran striker was undecided and just fell on the ball and handled it with his hand for a freekick to the opposition.

In what was another chance for the home side to take the lead, United captain Ronwen Williams parried the ball away from a Thabo Qalinge shot.

Minutes later Moremi delivered a dangerous cross with Siyethemba Sithebe and Mthembu in the box, but it was a few yards away from them and Onismor Bhasera cleared the lines.

After the half hour mark Iqraam Rayners was played through on goal by Teboho Mokoena, with only the keeper to beat but 1Mothwa made a match winning save.

The second half which was delayed by 15 minutes because of poor lights started with Supersport United making an offensive change, bringing on Thamsanqa Gabuza for Kudakwashe Mahachi.

Matsatsantsa started playing direct with long balls looking for Gabuza and Bradley Grobler but the Usuthu defence remained resolute.

A few minutes later Ditlhokwe was cautioned for a foul on Moremi but AmaZulu could not profit from the set piece.

Another dangerous foul by Luke Fluers on Qalinge and the former was cautioned for the offence.

On the hour mark Mothwa was called into making a save after Grobler connected to a Jamie Webber cross.

The match got more physical as SuperSport forced AmaZulu into making errors just outside the box but those set pieces didn’t trouble Mothwa.

Kgotso Moleko and Tapelo Xoki were booked for dangerous tackles leading to those free kicks.

AmaZulu’s technical team opted to make changes bringing on Luvuyo Memela, Siphesihle Maduna and Samkelo Mgwazela for Tshepang Moremi, Keagan Buchanan and Limbikani Mzava.

With more drama taking place on the touch line between Benni McCarthy and Kaitano Tembo exchanging words, things got interesting when Malepe kicked Webber from behind and he got a straight red card from Thando Ndzandzeka.

With Usuthu one man down for the last 15 minutes of the match they visibly played for a draw with less forward moves.

Drama continued in the 89th minute when Fluers receieved his second yellow card after a foul on Sithebe just outside the box.

AmaZulu kept on piling the pressure looking for that elusive goal but it never came with four added minutes.

With both sides rushing forward in the last minutes of the game, neither side could put the ball in the back of the net, the match ending in a share of spoils.

By Wonga Sirayi

FARPost’s KZN Reporter