Arrows thrash Marumo Gallants in Durban


Golden Arrows have crushed Marumo Gallants 3-1 in the DStv Premiership clash at Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Arrows dominated the first half as they started well with high energy and created some good opening scares.

The hosts had a half-chance inside the fifth minute when Thubelihle Magubane received the ball on the near post unmarked, with his effort going wide.

Lehlohonolo Seema’s side continued to be wasteful – unable to find a route past inspired goalkeeper Washington Arubi.

In the 21st minute, Marumo had a forced change as Sicelokuhle Hlatshwayo replaced the injured Mpho Mvelase.

As the half progressed, the Limpopo-based outfit put some pressure on Arrows in the final third, Sede Junior Dion with a shot but blocked by Nkosinathi Sibisi.

The home side was also forced to make a change towards the end of the first half. Nqobeko Dlamini went off with an injury and Siyabonga Khumalo came in.

Abafana Bes’thende had a good passage of play, kept the ball and looked to find space in the first 45 Minutes.

The game went into the interval deadlocked.

In the second stanza, Bahlabane ba Ntwa had their moments on the counter-attack, but it was the KZN side that continued to look the more likely to make the breakthrough.

The breakthrough finally came when Velemseni Ndwandwe fired a shot from the edge of the box, Edgar Manaka blocked the ball and was adjudged to have handled the ball inside the the 18 area. Sibisi stepped forward and fired past Arubi to give Arrows a 1-0 lead in the 51st minute.

Fifteen minutes into the second period, the tempo of the match changed a bit. End-to-end action as both sides pushed long balls up.

Things got worse for the visitors when Knox Mutizwa found the back of the net in the 65th minute for Arrows.

Sebastian Migne’s side managed to find a goal when the hosts’ defence was caught off guard and conceded an own goal by Mutizwa in the 75th minute.

The turnaround was swift and began to be overwhelming for Arrows, as Marumo fought so hard to find an equalizer but luck was not on their side.

Khumalo added to the scoreline in the stoppage time to make it 3-1.

The game ended with Arrows claiming all three points at home.

RELATED STORYLINE-UPS: Arrows v Marumo Gallants 

By Mauwane Raophala