Tottenham Hotspur manager Jose Mourinho has been dealt a major blow ahead of the crucial English Premier League encounter against rivals Fulham United on Wednesday night.
Gareth Bale had to be withdrawn last week in a League Cup game against Stoke City due to an injury.
Although he had registered his name on the scoresheet, the Real Madrid loanee had to be substituted at the half-way mark of the clash after sustaining a calf injury.
Speaking in a press conference before the league game against Fulham, coach Jose Mourinho said he expects the Welsh international to be out of action for several weeks. “No, I don’t expect him to be fit and also I have my doubts that Lucas and Vinicius can be fit for Fulham. I wouldn’t say it’s serious, but I’d say a few weeks,” he said.
It’s not the first time that the 31-year-old has been absent through some sort of problem this season. He arrived with a niggling injury and missed several matches at the start of this month, which will be a worrying factor for the Portuguese mentor who needs all his senior players at their best as Spurs contend for the English Premier League title against the likes of Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea.
Bale has only started seven of the 11 matches he has played in all competitions this season, but he has just one Premier League start to his name.
With fixtures coming thick and fast due to the nature of the schedule over the festive season, the manager will be hoping he is able to get back to full fitness as soon as possible.
Rotation is very crucial for the club as some of the best players (Harry Kane, Heung-Min Son and Tanguy Ndombele) also need to be rested to avoid fatigue. Having depth in the team is paramount to any side that wants to contend for the title.
The right-wing position is certainly up for grabs as neither Steven Bergwijn nor Lucas Moura have cemented their place as the main starter under the former Manchester United coach.
RELATED ARTICLE: Bale is back!!!
By Prince Sobayeni