Burundi has reportedly become the last African country to suspend football activities to re-arrange its calendar due to coronavirus (Covid-19).
Burundi was, alongside Tajikistan, Nicaragua and Belarus, the only ones around the world continuing with football activities despite the rest of the world shutting down to prevent Covid-19 spread.
So far 2 million Covid-19 cases have been registered worldwide with deaths hitting over 120,000.
However, after weekend matches including for the President’s Cup, Burundi Football Association president Réverien Ndikuriyo announced that they have suspended the football activities “to re-arrange the calendars.”
“An Ad Hoc committee has been set up to study the implementation of the decision,” Ndikuriyo says in a statement.
Burundi has registered five Covid-19 cases including one death.
The FA had arranged that the season should end by May 30 and so far the association says it is satisfied with the progress of the competitions but at the same time needs to make some of the stadiums available for Covid-19 preventive measures.
RELATED STORY: Its business as usual in Burundi
By Peter Kanjere
FARPost’s Africa correspondent