The Caf Confederation Cup return leg between Rivers United and Bloemfontein Celtic will now be played at a neutral venue.
Caf has rescheduled the match to the weekend of 22-24 January 2021. The game was supposed to take place on the 6th of January 2021 in Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
However, the Caf Confederation Cup first round, second leg fixture did not take place as planned due to the travelling restrictions imposed by the Nigerian government for travellers from South Africa as COVID-19 cases continue to mount in the country. Therefore, Celtic couldn’t travel to Nigeria.
A Caf statement read: “Following the unfortunate events that caused the Total CAF Confederation Cup 2020/21 – Match no.70 Rivers United (Nigeria) Vs Bloemfontein Celtic (South Africa) not to be played, and the current COVID-19 pandemic affecting our continent, the case was submitted to CAF’s Organizing Committee of Interclubs Competitions and the Management of Club Licensing System.”
The Committee has unanimously decided the following:
1. The match shall be rescheduled during the weekend 22nd – 24th of January 2021 and shall be played in a neighbouring country to Nigeria with more lenient COVID-19 protocols regarding travellers coming from South Africa.
2. The Nigeria Football Federation to decide and communicate the venue, date, kick-off time and the approval of the neutral host association by the 12th of January 2021 at the latest.
3. The designations of the match officials are maintained.
4. Rivers United FC to take charge of all organizational expenses in the neutral country as the host club and to ensure that the visiting team has the approvals for the entry in the neutral country.
5. The additional player registration period starts on the 10th January 2021, the two teams shall not be allowed to field any of the players registered during this period for this match.
RELATED STORY: Caf calls off Celtic, Rivers Confed Cup tie
By FARPost Reporter