Cavani charged with misconduct by FA

Share

Uruguayan striker Edinson Cavani has been charged with an aggravated breach of the Football Association’s (FA) rules for using the word “negrito” in an Instagram post recently. 

Cavani did apologise for the social media post, which he posted last month after Manchester United beat Southampton 3-2 saying it was an affectionate greeting to a friend.

“Edinson Cavani has been charged with misconduct in relation to a social media post on Thursday November 29, 2020,” said the FA in a statement.

“It is alleged that a comment posted on the Manchester United FC player’s Instagram page was insulting and/or abusive and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.

“It is further alleged that the comment constitutes an ‘Aggravated Breach’ as it included a reference, whether express or implied, to colour and/or race and/or ethnic origin.”

Man Utd issued a statement defending the striker, saying there was no malicious intent behind Cavani’s message.

“Manchester United and all of our players are fully committed to the fight against racism and we will continue to work with the FA… in that regard,” the club said.

“Edinson and the club were clear that there was absolutely no malicious intent behind the message, which he deleted and apologised for, as soon as he was informed that it could have been misconstrued.

“The player and the club will now consider the charge and respond to the FA accordingly.”

RELATED STORYOle praises Cavani’s stellar performance

By FARPost Reporter 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares