Banyana Banyana mentor Desiree Ellis has announced a 25-woman squad for the Aisha Buhari Cup set to be staged in Nigeria, Lagos from 12-21 September 2021.
Ellis’ troops will set up a camp at the Safa Technical Centre (Fun Valley) on Sunday in preparation for the tournament before departure to Nigeria.
South Africa are in Group B along with Cameroon and Ghana.
“The Aisha Buhari Cup is now very important as it now allows us to play international football again. We have always asked Safa and Sasol to get us top opposition and we are very excited about this upcoming tournament.
‘’We know that Nigeria have been very active along with Morocco who have recently played Mali in two international friendly matches. Cameroon has a new coach who is preparing their team and my good friend coach Mercy is also getting Ghana ready for the tournament,” added Ellis.
The Banyana coach also believes that the Aisha Buhari Cup was an ideal tournament to prepare for the AWCON qualifiers.
“It’s like a mini AWCON itself. It is an opportunity to test ourselves after having missed a lot of football over the last 18 months both locally and internationally,” she said.
“It’s also an opportunity to have a look at some of the overseas-based players that we have not seen since 2019 due to Covid-19 protocols and quarantine regulations in the countries where they are currently playing,’’ concluded Ellis.
- Kaylin Swart (JVW FC)
- Regirl Ngobeni (University of Western Cape)
- Lebohang Ramalepe (Dinamo Minsk)
- Janine Van Wyk (Glasgow City)
- Tiisetso Makhubele (Tshwane University of Technology)
- Bambanani Mbane (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Bongeka Gamede (University of Western Cape)
- Koketso Tlailane (Tshwane University of Technology FC)
- Ntombifikile Ndlovu (Sunflower FC)
- Ongeziwe Ndlangisa (Sunflower FC)
- Oratile Mokwena (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Mamello Makhabane (JWV FC)
- Nomvula Kgoale (Tshwane University of Technology)
- Thembi Kglatlana (Atletico Madrid)
- Refiloe Jane (AC Milan)
- Linda Motlhalo (Djurgardens FC)
- Robyn Moodaly (JVW FC)
- Noxolo Cesane (University of Western Cape)
- Gabriela Salgado (JWV FC)
- Lelona Daweti (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Sibulele Holweni (University of Western Cape
- Melinda Kgadiete (Mamelodi Sundowns FC)
- Hildah Magaia (Moron BK)
- Faya Mandisa (Lindelani Ladies)
- Nthabiseng Majiya (Richmond Ladies)
RELATED STORY: Ellis hails impact of overseas-based trio
By FARPost Reporter