Arrows, Chiefs share the spoils in four-goal thriller


Golden Arrows and Kaizer Chiefs had to settle for a share of the spoils as they played to a pulsating 2-2 draw in a DStv Premiership encounter at Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium in Durban.

The point moves Arrows up to fourth spot on the log standings – maintaining their unbeaten while Chiefs squandered the chance to register their second win in the league.

Arrows were quickly off the blocks and got their first real opening of the game in the third minute when Michael Gumede unleashed a right-footed drive over the bar.

After domination in the first 20 minutes, the hosts grew into the game and managed to carve out opportunities with the best falling to Siboniso Conco who fired pushed his effort wide from outside the box.

Just before the half-hour mark, Chiefs thought they had opened the scoring as Leonardo Castro found the back of the net from a Lebogang Manyama through ball, but the Colombian striker was correctly flagged for offside.

A few minutes later, Philani Zulu whipped in a beautiful cross for Castro, whose glancing header found the top of the crossbar with the Arrows goalkeeper Sifiso Mlungwana beaten.

It was all Chiefs in the later stages of the first half with Mlungwana pulling off some brilliant saves to deny Ramahlwe Mphahlele from close range in the 42nd minute and Castro a few moments later. Both teams went into the half time break locked in a barren draw.

Abafana Bes’thende came out of the locker room playing at a frantic pace and finally broke the deadlock controversially through Conco in the 49th minute from the penalty spot after Willard Katsande was adjudged to have fouled Zolani Nkombela inside the box.

It took Gavin Hunt’s men less than 10 minutes to hit back as Castro finally found the back of the net from a Khama Billiat cross.

After some beautiful interplay between Lebogang Manyama and Billiat, Castro was on hand to finish into an open net completing his brace in the 65th minute to give the Soweto giants the lead.

But the Glamour Boys’ lead was short-lived as Nduduzo Sibiya came off the bench to level matters in the 69th minute with a beautifully taken goal.

Chiefs have now gone four games without a victory while Arrows are yet to lose in the DStv Premiership. A positive for Hunt’s man though, it is that they were able to find the back of the net twice after struggling in their three games.

RELATED STORY: Chiefs assistant coach Zwane pays tribute to McFarlene

By FARPost Reporter 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *