Arrows brush aside Galaxy


Abafana Bes’thende bossed the proceedings from kickoff  and went to half time with their tails up, as they comfortably led 2-0 against TS Galaxy at Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium.

The home side had seen much of the ball with Pule Mmodi, Nduduzo Sibiya and Micheal Gumede threatening the Galaxy defence.

It didn’t take long for Arrows to break the deadlock, as an enterprising Devin Lunga run, down the left saw him feed Micheal Gumede, who volleyed the ball past Heugh, in the seventh minute.

Soon after the goal, the hosts grew in confidence as Brandon Parusnath and Sibiya kept pressure on the visitors.

Owen Da Gama’s charges managed to deal with the attacks from Arrows until the 31st minute, where a moment of brilliance from Mmodi saw the host two goals to the good.

Mmodi managed to control the ball just outside the 18 area and volleyed to the farpost, beating the Galaxy goalkeeper.

The visitors on the other side have been kept away from Arrows goal, with Mlungwana only touching the ball through goal kicks.

The visitors came to second half guns blazing,  with the attack of Mxolisi Macuphu and Bathusi Aubaas, who both were introduced in the second half for Mlungisi Mbunjana and Khayelihle Shozi.

Sifiso Mlungwana came to the rescue for Arrows to push a cross over the bar for a corner as Galaxy kept on piling pressure.

Nkosinathi Sibisi had to lead by example when he broke a deadly attack for Galaxy to deny them any chance of scoring.

Arrows scored the third goal of the match on the 61st minute after Sibiya delivered a telling cross from the byline, finding Neverdie Makhubela unmarked in the box to head home.

Mandla Ncikazi brought in  Lindokuhle Mtshali for Makhubelain the last 72nd minute, as they looked to put the game to bed.

In the 78th minute Mlungwana produced a point blank save, denying Macuphu from inside the box as the visitors kept on knocking.

In the last 10 minutes of the match it was end-to-end stuff, as both sets of defenders fumbled the ball in the box before clearing their lines.

Arrows started knocking the ball around nicely in the opposition half, forcing Galaxy to sit back and commit fouls in dangerous areas.

With two minutes to go Matome Mathiane came in for Pule Mmodi just before Sibiya got his marching orders, after a second yellow for a foul on Masilake Phohlongo.

Arrows managed to keep a clean sheet, getting back to winning ways with three goals equaling the points gained.

By Wonga Sirayi

FARPost’s KZN Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *