Arrows defeat SuperSport on penalties to book MTN8 semifinal spot


Golden Arrows have defeated SuperSport United 4-3 on penalties in their MTN8 quarterfinal clash at Princess Magogo Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Arrows were just about edging things in the opening minutes of the contest, but luck was just not on their side.

But, having dominated the last 15 minutes of the showdown, Abafana Bes’thende started to be shaky a little bit at the back as they allowed Matsatsantsa to bring the game to them.

The visitors created a scare through Bradley Grobler who connected on the volley but his effort went straight to Sifiso Mlungwana’s save hands.

It took until the half-hour mark before the fans at home had a chance to truly get excited about anything, as the game started to open up with both sides pushing forward trying to breakthrough each other’s defence.

In the stoppage time of the first half, the home side have been forced to shoot from distance having failed to find that cutting edge in the final third.

The opening 45 minutes eventually came to a goalless conclusion, as the teams went into the interval deadlocked.

In the second stanza, the KZN-based side weathered an outstanding performance – putting pressure on SuperSport backline.

Just five minutes into the second period, Arrows found an opener through Knox Mutizwa from a penalty spot after Nduduzo Sibiya was taken down in the box.

The unfazed Tshwane-based outfit pulled a good play trying to find an equalizer – forcing Arrows’ back four to make errors and capitalize on them.

In the 78th minute, supersub Gamphani Lungu finally equalized for the visitors with a shot from the far post.

The game ended 1-all in the regulation time of which resulted into the extra-time.

Nine minutes into the extra-time, another supersub Iqraam Rayners gave the visitors a lead after finding enough space coming up the far side, takes his shot and finds the back of the net.

When we thought it was done and dusted, Michael Gumede equalized in the 119 minute of the extra-time.

After 120 tiresome minutes the game ended 2-2 and went straight to the penalties.

At the end of the day, Lehlohonolo Seema’s troops emerged victorious as they crushed SuperSport 4-3 on penalty shootout to cruise their way into the MTN8 semifinals.


By Mauwane Raophala