Klopp against calls to put league on hold

Share

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has spoken out against calls for a circuit-break shutdown to help reduce covid-19 infections in the Premier League.

West Bromwich Albion manager Sam Allardyce said earlier this week that a temporary pause to fixtures was needed following an escalation in positive tests, within the League and in wider society in the United Kingdom.

The spike in positive cases led to the postponements of Everton’s clash with Manchester City on Monday and Tottenham’s home game against Fulham two days later.

But Klopp says games should continue due to the safety measures in place within the sport.

“I am not a specialist, but we all try to do our best to keep the competition going,” says Klopp.

“It is understandable [to have concerns], but we try to do everything to keep the boys as safe as possible and I think the competition can go on.

“It is important, as well. People want to watch it and, in this case, we are not part of society because usually we isolate, we go to the training ground and stuff like that, so I think we really can carry on.

“But I am not a specialist and I respect all the decisions made in the next few weeks,” he added.

Eighteen positive tests among players and club staff were reported by the Premier League earlier this week, but the league has said that there are no plans to halt the 2020/21 season.

RELATED STORY:Klopp won’t rush back improving Thiago

By Ofhani Munyai

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares