Morocco’s Football Federation (FRMF) say they will be guided by the government on when the Botola Pro League may return to complete the 2019-20 season.
The 16-team League was suspended with nine rounds of games remaining due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The federation says a committee, led by vice president Hamza El Hajoui, has been set up to study realistic solutions for the resumption of football activity in the kingdom.
“This commission will start its work and meetings today (Thursday) with the aim of developing a global vision in respect of the technical aspects and health measures of football practice,” the federation said in a statement.
It, however, added the next step will be determined by government’s decisions.
On March 14, the federation announced the suspension of all football activity in the north African country until further notice because of the coronavirus pandemic.
During a video conference on Thursday, the Morocco federation president Fouzi Lekjaa, main picture, said the FRMF is monitoring the evolution of this pandemic very closely in coordination with the public authorities and its repercussions on the national football fraternity.
“Since the beginning of the pandemic, the FRMF has taken several preventive measures in coordination with the public authorities, through the programming of matches behind closed doors and then the suspension of all matches, in all categories,” said Lekjaa.
Initially, Morocco’s government prolonged the country’s state of emergency until May 20 as Covid-19 cases continued to increase.
Moroccan football has made great strides over the years, becoming the first country to use the video assistant referee (VAR) in a domestic encounter last year.
Former Monaco striker Alain Traore recently said he was enjoying life in Berkane, northeastern Morocco, and claimed the country’s Botola Pro League had ‘the best football in Africa’.
RELATED STORY: Ex-Monaco star hails Morocco’s football transformation
By Mthokozisi Dube