Neymar calls out Nike liars in sponsorship split

Share

Brazilian star Neymar has hit back at sportswear maker Nike, saying the company’s statement that it terminated an endorsement deal because he refused to cooperate with an investigation into the alleged sexual assault of a Nike employee was an absurd lie.

In a story first reported by The Wall Street Journal on Thursday, Nike, which had the player on a long-term contract, said it terminated the deal last year after an employee came forward with what it said were “credible” allegations against the player.

Neymar, who plays for Paris Saint-Germain, denies the allegations. He is currently training with the Brazil national team in Rio ahead of the Copa America.

“I was not given the opportunity to defend myself,” he wrote on Instagram.

“I’ve never had any kind of relationship or approach from this person. I didn’t even have a chance to talk to her, to know the real reasons for her pain. That person, an employee, was not protected. I, a sponsored athlete, was not protected,” added Neymar.

The alleged sexual assault took place in 2016, but the employee initially requested to keep the matter confidential and Nike opened its investigation in 2019 only after the woman expressed an interest in legally pursuing the matter, according to a statement from the firm.

Nike said it had ended its relationship with Neymar in 2020 because “the athlete refused to cooperate in a good faith investigation of credible allegations of wrongdoing by an employee.”

Nike said it could not speak in detail about the case when their deal ended because the investigation was not conclusive.

By FARPost Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares