For those who saw Phil Masinga’s goal against Congo Brazzaville at FNB Stadium 23 years ago, it’s as if it happened yesterday.
The thunderous strike ensured Bafana qualified for their first ever FIFA World Cup, hosted by France in 1998. It’s a goal that makes FARPost‘s Top 5 of Bafana Bafana’s greatest goals ever based on quality and significance.
Who else makes the cut?
5. Hlompho Kekana (Cameroon 2-2 SA, Africa Cup of Nations qualifier, Limbe Stadium, 2016)
*Kekana’s goal was nominated for the FIFA Puskas Award in 2016 and was up against the likes of Lionel Messi and Neymar, but all missed out to Mohd Faiz Subri (59.46% of the votes), who was playing in the Malaysian League. In voting, Kekana, who garnered 10.01% of the votes) finished a joint third amongst a host of players.
4. Katlego Mphela (SA 2-3 Spain, FIFA Confederation Cup, Royal Bafokeng Stadium, 2009)
*Mphela’s goal was also a nominee for the FIFA Puskas Award and finished 10th, with 2.59% of the votes.
3. Thabo Mngomeni (Congo 1-2 SA, Africa Cup of Nations qualifier, Municipal Stadium – Point Noire, 2000)
Unfortunately, there’s no video footage available at the moment for this goal. Mngomeni’s spectacular bicycle kick was so good it won CAF’s Goal of the Year award in May 2001.
2. Siphiwe Tshabalala (SA 1-1 Mexico, FIFA World Cup, FNB Stadium, 2010)
*Shabba’s goal made the shortlist for the Puskas Award in 2010, but also didn’t win.
1. Phil Masinga (SA 1-0 Congo, FIFA World Cup qualifier, FNB Stadium, 1997)
By Tiyani wa ka Mabasa