Recently, FARPost stats compiler Opta Jabu put together articles on PSL history, providing details from year 1996 – 2020.
Now we’ve done a 20-question quiz. Let’s see how many correct answers you come up with. Here goes…
1. Only one PSL coach has beaten all opposing teams at least once in the same league season (i.e his team beat every other side they faced that season at least once in the league). Can you name him?
Ted Dumitru, Stuart Baxter, Pitso Mosimane, Gordon Igesund
2. What is Bloemfontein Celtic’s highest finishing position in the PSL era?
4th, 5th, 6th or 7th
3. Mother City had the lowest points total for any PSL side over a full season in 1999/2000. How many points did they win?
9, 10, 11, 12
4. All these countries have players that have come to South Africa and won the Golden Boot as the league’s top scorer, except for one. Can you name the country that doesn’t have a PSL Golden Boot winner?
Zimbabwe, Zambia, Senegal, Malawi
5. Sundowns have finished as champions on most occasions (9). Which PSL club have finished as league runners up on the most occasions (6)?
Chiefs, Wits, SuperSport, Pirates
6. Collins Mbesuma won the Golden Boot in 2004/05 and holds the record for most goals scored by a player in a single season (25). Who finished second in the league’s Golden Boot race that season?
Mabhuti Khanyeza, Benedict Vilakazi, Sandile Ndlovu or Christopher Katongo
7. Which PSL side has been relegated from the top-flight the most times (4)?
African Wanderers, Black Aces, Jomo Cosmos, Free State Stars
8. Sundowns hold the record for most points won by a club in the 30-game PSL era (2002 onwards). Which side holds the highest number of points for a club finishing last?
Free State Stars, Jomo Cosmos, Wits, AmaZulu
9. What is the biggest points gap between the 1st and 2nd placed teams at the end of a season in the PSL era?
14 points: Sundowns ahead of Pirates 1999/00
14 points: Chiefs ahead of Sundowns 2014/15
14 points: Sundowns ahead of Chiefs 2015/16
14 points: Sundowns ahead of Platinum Stars 2006/7
10. The most goals Pirates conceded in a league game is 6. The most Sundowns have ever conceded is 5. The most Chiefs have conceded is 4. Can you name the side that have scored 4 against Chiefs on two separate occasions?
Santos, Cape Town Spurs, Sundowns or Platinum Stars
11. Can you name the last South African player to score 20 or more goals in the PSL?
Katlego Mashego, Katlego Mphela, Siyabonga Nomvethe or Rodney Ramagalela
12. SuperSport won the PSL title in 2007/8 with just 54 points. In the 30-game PSL era (2002 onwards), how many other sides have beaten that 54 points tally and yet failed to win the title?
7, 10, 13, 19
13. Which side has finished as league runners-up on three occasions but never won the PSL title?
Ajax Cape Town, Swallows, Platinum Stars, Umtata Bush Bucks
14. Gavin Hunt is the only PSL manager to win three league titles in a row?
True or False
15. Before Percy Tau, who was the last player to win the Golden Boot in the same season that they won the title?
Knowledge Musona, Bernard Parker, Katlego Mphela, Pollen Ndlanya
16. What is the longest unbeaten run by a PSL team in PSL era history?
36 games, 31 games, 29 games, 24 games
17. Chiefs lost just 3 games on their way to winning the 2003/04 PSL title. Can you name the one side that beat them home & away that season?
Pirates, Sundowns, SuperSport, Moroka Swallows
18. What is the highest number of clean sheets any side has kept over a full PSL season?
23, 19, 21, 25
19. Which was the first season to see less than 500 goals scored by all teams in the PSL (499)?
2005/06, 2006/07, 2009/10, 2017/18
20. Can you name the first side to finish bottom in a PSL era league?
Michau Warriors, Witbank Aces, Mother City, Real Rovers
1. Stuart Baxter
3. 10 points
6. Sandile Ndlovu (with 18 goals)
7. Jomo Cosmos
8. Free State Stars (with 29 points in the 2005/06 season)
9. 14 points: Sundowns ahead of Chiefs 2015/16
10. Cape Town Spurs
11. Siyabonga Nomvethe
12. Nineteen (19) teams
13. Ajax Cape Town
15. Bernard Parker
16. Kaizer Chiefs 31 games, January – October 2005
18. Kaizer Chiefs (21 clean sheets in 2003/04)
19. The 2009/10 season
20. Witbank Aces
By Opta Jabu