Safa position very clear on GladAfrica Championship saga

Share

SA Football Association CEO Advocate Tebogo Motlanthe is adamant that the dispute over the GladAfrica Championship winners will be resolved on Friday, 12 June.

This follows the court action by Polokwane City and Royal AM after the Premier Soccer League DC ruled that Sekhukhune United should be awarded three points for their match against Polokwane City.

In the match, played earlier this year, Polokwane City didn’t have five U23 players on their team sheet and that is against the NSL rules.

Motlanthe told FARPost during a KZN SAFA congress at Royal Hotel on Saturday that SAFA supports the ruling by the PSL arbitration and they are hoping the matter will be resolved soon.

“Look, what you need to understand is that all appeals of PSL comes to Safa as NSL is our member,” he stated.

“Of course the arbitrator in question and arbitration award in question, it was presided over by the association, who appointed an advocate. And of course we’ve stated in court papers and on Friday we are going to put our position very clear,” he continued.

“We oppose it because arbitration in terms of both PSL handbook and SAFA regulations is the final process and it’s binding. We don’t promote, as the association, the issue of taking football matters to court.

“It was decided that Sekhukhune United’s application will no longer be in front of court, the application that will go to court is by Polokwane to have the decision reviewed.

“They are joined by Royal AM for their obvious interest and of course TS Sporting, Richards Bay FC have joined. They’ve applied to join as the respondents because they don’t promote what Polokwane and Royal AM are doing,” he said.

“So their application will be heard by Judge Sutherland on Friday and he has promised to give his ruling by Saturday,” said Motlanthe.

Meanwhile, he also put to bed the incident that involved Mamelodi Sundowns supporters and Al Ahly coach Pitso Mosimane, which took place last month.

“Look the association initially took that position to check what happened, but we have seen the exchange between the two clubs.

“Sundowns have written to the Egyptian club, apologizing and as far as we are concerned that matter is closed, both parties have handled it and the matter is closed,” added Motlanthe.

By Wonga Sirayi

FARPost’s KZN Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

shares