Setien to sue Barcelona over contract

Share

Quique Setién and three of his assistants confirmed on Thursday that they will be taking legal action against Barcelona for breach of contract.

Setién claims he was only informed on Wednesday about his dismissal despite the Catalan giants publicising that they have relieved the coach of his duties last month.

Reports indicate that Setién’s lawyers’ will demand €4m in compensation as stipulated in the coach’s contract for the 2020-21 season.

According to Setién, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu never informed him about the terms of his sacking.

In a joint statement with his assistant coaches – Eder Sarabia, Jon Pascua and Fran Soto posted on his official Twitter account, Setien said they had not received any compensation from the club and that he only received written notice of the termination of his contract on September 16, with Barcelona announcing his sacking on August 17.

“After a month of absolute silence from Barcelona’s board of directors, and after diverse demands on our behalf, we did not receive any communication from the club until receiving a letter yesterday via burofax (recorded delivery),” reads the statement.

“Said letter revealed the clear intention from the club to not comply with contracts we signed on January 14, 2020.”

“Given everything expressed above, we have felt the need for our lawyers to find a solution to this conflict and take the corresponding legal action, in order to preserve our rights and everything we had previously agreed with Barcelona.”

It was after Barcelona’s embarrassing 8-2 defeat at the hands of Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League quarterfinals that Setien was shown the door having been appointed head coach in January after Ernesto Valverde was dismissed.

The Spanish giants ended the 2019-20 campaign trophyless under the guidance of  Setien.

RELATED STORY:Messi staying at Barca is great – Koeman

By FARPost Reporter