Simba shock Al Ahly


Luis Miquissone struck a belter of a first half goal as Tanzanian champions Simba SC stunned holders Al Ahly, beating the Egyptian giants by a solitary goal in Dar es Salaam on Tuesday to move top of Group A in the CAF Champions League.

Simba had beaten AS Vita Club by the same margin away from home on match day one and the win at home over Ahly, a replica of their last meeting in 2019, moves them to six points while the Red Devils drop to second in the group.

Miquissone scored on the half hour mark with a stunning strike from range after some good build up by the home side, the ball hitting the underside of the bar before shaking the net past Mohamed Elshenawy.

Simba were gifted for a lively start to the match, having seen most of the ball in the opening exchanges but were yet to test the Ahly keeper. The visitors had sniffed at goal in the 16th minute with Mahmoud Kahraba volleying the ball over after being put through by a brilliant Junior Ajayi flick.

Immediately after going down, Ahly tried to find their way back into the game with Walter Bwalya heading Mohamed Hany’s cross from the right just wide.

On the other end, Simba came close to a second when Shomari Kapombe burst through on the right to break into the box, but his eventual shot was pushed to the upright by Elshenawy.

Five minutes to the break, Elshenawy was called into action again, going low on his right to smoother away a shot from Chris Mugalu. From the resultant corner which was taken short, left back Mohamed Hussein struck a low shot just wide.

In the second half, Simba were okay slowing down the tempo of the game, while Ahly tried to push to get an equalizer and pick themselves up back into contention.

Simba had a chance to stretch their tally in the 72nd minute when Mzamiru Yasin was put through on goal by a decent pass from Mugalu, but his shot was deflected over the bar. Mugalu had a chance himself minutes later off a Miquissone pass, but he took a heavy first touch to move away from the target.

Ahly turned on the heat in the final five minutes and Aliou Deng should have done better with a lone header off a cross from Ayman Ashraf, but the effort went over. At the stroke of 90 minutes, Simba keeper Aishi Manula made a well worked save on the full stretch to smoother a Mohamed Sherif shot behind for a corner.

From the resultant set-piece, Ashraf picked up the ball on the right after it was defended meekly, but his shot after a drive at the edge of the area went over.

Simba just but managed to hold on to the slim advantage albeit some nervous defending to pick up a morale boosting victory.

By Tiyani wa ka Mabasa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *