Spurs to take action after Son racially abused

Share

Tottenham Hotspur are set to take action after Korean star Son Heung-Min was subjected to “abhorrent racist abuse” on social media following the club’s 3-1 defeat at the hands of Manchester United on Sunday.

Son is the second Spurs player in as many matches to suffer such abuse following Davinson Sanchez after the 2-2 draw with Newcastle United on 4 April.

The Korean international scored Spurs’s goal but was involved in a controversial incident when he went down clutching his face after contact with Scott McTominay. That resulted in an Edinson Cavani goal being ruled out and post-match criticism of the Korean by Man United coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

“Another matchday and more abhorrent racial abuse suffered by one of our players,” said Spurs in a statement.

“This has again been reported to the platforms and we shall now undertake a full review alongside the Premier League to determine the most effective action moving forward.”

Tottenham said last week they wanted “social media platforms to take action” after the abuse of Colombian international defender Sanchez.

Several clubs have already taken a stand.

Scottish champions Rangers and English Championship outfits Swansea and Birmingham announced on Friday they would boycott social media platforms for a week.

Spurs and Wales star Gareth Bale has said he would be in favour of boycotting social media if it was a mass movement.

France’s record goalscorer Thierry Henry went further last month in quitting all social media until platforms do more to tackle racism and harassment.

By FARPost Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *