Atletico Madrid and Uruguay striker Luis Suarez will miss two massive games this week for both club and country after testing positive for Covid-19.
In a statement released on Monday evening, the Uruguay national team said that Suarez and goalkeeper Rodrigo Munoz, as well as a staff member, had tested positive for the deadly virus.
Uruguay face Brazil on Tuesday in a World Cup qualifier, while Suarez’s new club Atletico Madrid will meet his old club Barcelona on Saturday.
The statement added that both players and the staff member were in good health and said the team had followed protocol and taken the appropriate measures following the results.
Suarez, who scored a penalty in Uruguay’s 3-0 win over Colombia on Friday, is now ruled out of the match against Brazil and will also be out for Madrid’s La Liga match against Barca, his former team.
The Uruguayan is Atletico’s joint-top scorer this season alongside Joao Felix, grabbing five goals since switching from Barca on a free transfer in September.
A number of high profile players tested positive for the virus during the international break including Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah who was infected while on duty with Egypt and his compatriot Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny
Last month, Cristiano Ronaldo tested positive while representing Portugal and was forced to miss several games for Juventus.
RELATED STORY: Blow for Egypt as Salah tests positive
By FARPost Reporter