The Premier Soccer League (PSL) has provided an update on their plans to resume games, following their Board of Governors meeting on Tuesday.
The League released a statement indicating that their intention had been to resume on Saturday, 18 July 2020 – a date which was allegedly approved by the department of sport, arts and culture.
Earlier in the day, South African Football Association (SAFA) had announced that their preferred date to restart was August 1.
“The PSL had complied with the requirements and ready to resume with the 2019/20 season on 18 July 2020, but unable to do so due to unavailability of match officials,” said a statement from the NSL BOG.
“The Executive Committee has been mandated to re-engage stakeholders regarding the current status quo.”
Earlier in the day, Safa had said: “According to the Referees Sub-Committee of the Technical Committee, the first week of August 2020 is the appropriate date for the commencement of NSL matches. The choice of Gauteng Province as the host of training and match venues, as well as hotels, was agreed to by the government and NSL and that SAFA had no input to this process.”
According to FIFA regulations, it is the role of Members Associations, and in this case SAFA, to appoint referees for professional football matches.
No club, league or other body of the Member Association may interfere in the Referee appointment process.
RELATED STORY:Processes on return to play
By Ofhani Munyai