Zamalek chairman Mortada Mansour has challenged the decision made by Egypt’s Minister of Youth and Sports Ashraf Sobhi.
Mansour reiterated that the 2019/2020 season of the Egyptian Premier League will not be restarted.
Sobhi held a press conference on Monday to announce that all clubs are allowed to return to training starting the 20th of June and that all sporting activities will resume on the 25th of July.
Subsequently, the Minister stated that the Ministry’s decision is to resume the 2019/2020 Egyptian Premier League season and not to cancel it.
The Egyptian league was suspended earlier in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. And following multiple extensions to the interruption the football is back.
In a press conference that saw the presence of head of Egyptian Football Association Amr El-Ganainy, the Ministry set the 25th of July as an initial date for the restart of the Egyptian Premier League.
However, Mansour heavily criticised the Minister’s decision announcing that he is not on terms with the issued decisions.
“I am very surprised with what the Minister said, with all due respect. We are not like sheep. Football decisions concern the president of football clubs, the decision is ours and not the government’s,” Mansour told Zamalek TV.
“If the decisions came from the government then this is government intervention which we refuse. If the Minister of Sports wants to hand Al Ahly the title he should publicly declare that because they haven’t won any trophy this season.”
“The Egyptian Premier League won’t return. 14 clubs are against the restart, we won’t play because of one or two teams. I have no problem with crowning Al Ahly as champions if the rules say so.”
Before suspension, Al Ahly held the league leadership with 49 points from 17 matches and with 17-point difference with their closest opponent Arab Contractors, while Zamalek sit in fourth place with 31 points.
RELATED STORY: AFRICA: Carteron open to extending his Zamalek stay
By King Fut